As a Motor Control Engineer within the electronics Team In Product Engineering you will become a Mercedes HPP specialist for the operation of HPP ERS systems.
The role demands a high degree of contact across departments to deliver complex, innovative design solutions efficiently and in a timely manner. You will be responsible for ensuring that the products are functional at the point of delivery and also for ensuring that issues and faults arising are dealt with rapidly.
In this role , the MCE Engineer is empowered to act autonomously, ensuring accountability and ownership for the task in hand to drive right first time solution taking into account performance , obsolescence, cost and other key programme metrics.
Role Specific Accountabilities:
Specifically the Motor Control Engineer is responsible for the following as part of his/her role within the business or department.
• Proposing solutions to ERS drive system issues and opportunities
• Design and development of new or existing electronics hardware, working to agreed specifications
• Problem diagnosis and failure analysis
• Writing of test requests and technical reports
• Day to day management of their tasks
• Building inter department working relationships
• Champion best practices
• Liaison with internal and external suppliers
• Health and safety within the work environment
Knowledge, skills and experience required:
• Advanced Knowledge of electrical machine control theory and applications (PMSM primarily)
• System modelling using MATLAB/Simulink or other tools
• High Level of competency in fundamental electrical theory and practice
• Working knowledge of PCB layout techniques (Orcad preferred)
• Working knowledge of high voltage electronic hardware design (analogue and digital)
• Excellent knowledge of electronic system engineering principles
• Demonstrable experience in innovating solutions
• Excellent fault finding and diagnostic skills
• Experience in analysing and understanding complex data
• Good understanding of automotive hybrid systems operation.
• Familiarity with ATLAS AND SYSTEM MONITOR
• Experience working with high voltage 1kV and higher power electrical drive systems (100kW+)
• Experience with Orcad schematic capture and layout
• Qualified to HPPSMS AP level
• MEng/MSc in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or allied discipline
• 3 years post graduate experience in a challenging electronics engineering environment
• Curious and tenacious
• Enthusiastic, self-motivated and flexible with positive approach to new problems
• Disciplined and methodical
• Able to work to fixed demanding time frames and work exceptional hours when required
• Good teamwork and communication skills