We are looking for skilled Performance Development Engineers that are capable of delivering solutions of the highest standard on fast paced and technically challenging projects.
Generate ideas, devise and run test programmes to improve powertrain performance in terms of energy efficiency, power output, emissions, durability, functionality, heat rejection and drivability.
From a good understanding of the application, including relevant legislation, devise test plans and detail the component and facility specifications to quantify performance improvement. Run test programmes using simulation, test rigs, dynos or customer vehicles. Be responsible for the data analysis and reporting of results and conclusions.
Role Specific Accountabilities
Typical areas of development work involve:
• Rig and dyno testing of sub systems and full powertrains in order to support the characterisation and development of powertrain components, systems and operating modes.
• Dyno testing of full powertrains in order to develop and calibrate power unit control strategies to meet legislations and achieve best performance.
• Simulation and analysis of power unit systems and control strategies in order to understand their behaviour and interactions, thus reducing testing time required.
• Dyno and vehicle testing to complete product validation through detailed understanding of the product functionality, drivability and life cycle requirements.
• Development of in-house analysis tools.
• Powertrain calibration and procedure development.
• Supporting vehicle testing both locally and internationally.
• Close liaison with project customer engineers and other internal teams to develop solutions in short time frames.
• Detailed analysis of test data and reporting back on findings and recommendations
Knowledge, skills and experience required
• Broad overall knowledge of internal combustion engines, turbo charging and hybrid systems.
• Knowledge of hybrid powertrain test facilities.
• Experience of defining and running effective test programs.
• Experience of running engines and hybrid systems on dynos.
• Data analysis skills using packages such as Concerto, WinDarab, ATLAS, Excel, Matlab and Simulink.
• Knowledge of product validation procedures.
• Evidence of a structured and data driven approach to problem solving.
• Experience of engine calibration processes.
• Experience of the powertrain contribution to vehicle drivability.
• Experience of calibration for emissions legislation.
• Experience of hybrid system development / implementation.
• Applicants must have a degree in Mechanical Engineering (2:1 or above)
• Post Graduate Degree (MSc/Phd) in a relevant Subject
• Engineering enthusiasm
• Technical creativity and curiosity
• An organised, analytical, methodical and logical approach to problem solving
• Able to plan effectively and respond to changing priorities
• Flexible approach to support test requirements at short notice
• Competitive and self-motivated
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Provides robust, positive and constructive feedback to drive continuous improvement
• Pro-active, manages own accountabilities and informs/escalates as required