The Fuel Development Technologist will be responsible for working with our fuel supplier & technical partner to develop new gasoline fuel formulations with the aim of improving the Mercedes AMG formula one car & power unit performance.
The role will involve understanding & defining performance requirements of the fuel, and then identifying & sourcing new fuel components & additive packages with a ‘blue-sky’ approach, aimed at delivering the desired aims working closely with our technical partner.
This position will also entail creating fuel specifications for lab blends, and developing test processes & procedures in order to help validate the fuels performance. The role will also require supporting of the performance development engineers, who will evaluate the new fuel candidates through engine dynamometer testing, data analysis & reporting.
The Fuel Development Technologist will be predominately based at the Mercedes-AMG-HPP facility in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, but may on occasion require some travel, including overseas.
The Fuel Development Technologist is responsible for the following areas of activity within his/her section of the business or department:
• Generation and proposal of performance ideas
• Fuel specification, results analysis and reporting, further recommendations
• Output and delivery
• Quality of work, particularly in respect to results output
• The health and safety of him/herself and others within the work environment
• Technical development of products and processes
• Fostering good and productive inter-departmental and inter-company working relationships
• Championing best practice
Knowledge, skills and experience required:
• Experience of formulating racing or other high-performance engine gasoline fuels
• Knowledge of the chemical and physical properties of components used in the blending of gasoline - organic chemistry, bio fuel and additives
• Knowledge of IC engine combustion process and the influence of fuel
• Knowledge of industry standard test, validation and certification methods
• Data analysis skills using packages such as Excel and Matlab
• Degree Level Qualification in Chemistry, Engineering or other technical discipline
• Engineering enthusiasm
• Technical creativity and curiosity
• Analytical, methodical and logical
• Competitive and self-motivated
• Excellent Communication skills
• Good team worker
• Problem solving and decision making skills