The Role of the Senior Systems Engineer is to act as the technical lead in the support and provision of solid IT services, by doing so, improving reliability and performance across the IT infrastructure and application landscape. A strong and broad ranging technical background is essential as this is a hands on role with the requirement to support and deliver technical solutions throughout all stages of the ITIL service lifecycle.
The Senior Systems Engineer is the senior technical escalation point and is a key quality gatekeeper ensuring all changes and projects adhere to defined architectural principles and industry best practice.
Excellent customer service and project management experience is required with a strong focus on delivering the highest levels of quality. The role requires the ability to deliver on both operational and project tasks, against deadlines and Service Level Agreements. The role also requires flexibility in terms of out of hours support, on a rota basis.
In addition to being the senior technical escalation point the role requires the ability support, develop and lead colleagues in a technical capacity.
The senior systems engineer must also be able to work with 3rd parties, suppliers and customers, as some solutions will require external input and co-ordination.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
• 5 years+ experience in a senior support role (3rd line equivalent) with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a technical role within a medium to large sized enterprise, including support of the following
• Strong experience working to ITIL practices
• Proven Continual service improvement experience
• Good understanding of the software development life cycle
• Project lead and delivery experience working to a recognized mythology (PRINCE2 )
• Experience of scripting , orchestration and automation techniques
• Security , encryption and data loss prevention
• Support and optimization of in-house and bespoke applications
• Backups and disaster recovery
• Infrastructure and application capacity, performance and availability monitoring
• High-level technical computing languages
• UNIX and Linux operating systems
• Testbed and simulation platforms
• Enterprise application license management
• Datacentre infrastructure
• Enterprise telephony
• High performance computing
• Enterprise video content delivery
• Degree or relevant qualifications in a technology science subject
• Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert
• Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert
• VMware Certified Data Administrator
• NetApp Certified Data Administrator
• ITIL v3 Foundationa level
• PRINCE 2 foundation
• Agile Foundation
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Focus on stakeholder needs
• Ability to influence stakeholders across the business
• Good problem solving skills
• Contributes towards a positive culture and environment
• Executes decisions and deliver results
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Displays a genuine desire to progress